We Irish always eat Lamb at Easter!!
A good hearty leg of lamb and a bottle of wine is the perfect Easter lunch!!
Recipe for Easter Sunday lunch!!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2kg/4lb leg of lamb
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 75cl dry white wine
- 600ml/1 pint chicken stock
- 1tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp redcurrent jellyy
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees
2. Pour the oil into a large, sturdy roasting tin and set it over the hob
3. Season the lamb, then roll it in the flour. Brown the lamb all over in the hot oil for 5-10mins
4. Add the onions and cook for a further 5-10mins, turning the lamb and stirring the onions until both are nicely browned.
5. Add the garlic, white wine, stock, oregano, redcurrent jelly, bring to simmer and cook in the over for 3-3.5 hours, basting now and again with the liquor. There should be a good quantity of wine left in the bottom of the tin to serve with the lamb and if you feel it is getting too dry just cover with foil.
6. Take the lamb out of the tin and place on a large board to rest in a warm place. While the lamb is resting, sit the tin back on the hob and simmer the pan juices for a few minutes, reducing the luquid if there is a lot, to make a tasty gravy.
7. Cut the lamb into thick slices- you’ll find the meat fall away from the bone!!
8. Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and the wine gravy!!
Wine Menu for Easter Sunday!!!
- Before Lunch enjoy our Vinvita Prosecco!!
- With your the lunch perfect wine to compliment the lamb is our Valpolicella Ripasso, by Le Tobele!!
- After lunch try our sweet Endrizzi Moscato Rosa!!
Valpolicella Classico Ripasso D.O.C.
Grapes: Corvina Veronese, Corvinone, Rondinella.
Colour: Ruby red
Aroma: Vinous and delicate.
Taste: Dry, harmonious and soft
Drink with: All meats and cheeses.
Moscato Rosa 2006
Grape: Moscato Rosa
Aroma: Rich, complex and elegent bouquet with an aroma that strongly recalls Roses
Taste: The rich mouth-feel and pleasantly sweet-taste charm with their special harmony and finesse.
Drink with: A special aperitif. Typical meditation wine to be enjoyed alone or with dry pastries.
“Il Vicoletto” and “A Taste of Italy” Wine and Food evening
Last night we were warmly welcomed by Il Vicoletto restaurant, for a night of delicious food and of course fantastic wine!!! Christan and Georgio prepared and oganised a wonderful 5 course dinner and paired aevery course with different wine – a great selection!!
- Aperiftif was Sicillian Cous Cous served with the Endrizzi Brut Riserva
- 1st course was the “Papa Pomordoro” soup with fried squid with the Endrizzi Brut Riserva
- 2nd course was a Caramelised pear Risotto, served with the Cantina Terlano Pinot Bianco
- 3rd course was Gnocchi with a crab, lobster and a tomato sauce, served with the San Vincenzo by Anselmi
- 4th course was an Oganic Beef fillet, with a sweet sauce, served with the Tereldego Riserva by Endrizzi
- 5th course was the peppery chocolate soufle, served with a Moscato Rosa by Endrizzi
Everybody had a wonderful evening and enjoyed all of the food and wine which was showcased, we look forward to the next wine evening at Il Vicoletto Restaurant!!
Inez O’Shea “A taste of Italy”
This week we welcomed Mr Thommas Kemmler from Endrizzi wines, we had 2 lovely evenings the first evening was a wine dinner at the Elephant and Castle and the 2nd night was an information and tasting at Manifesto restaurant in Rathmines.
The Elephant and Castle served a 4 course meal, and with each course a different wine was served, starting with the Endrizzi Prosecco Frizzante, followed by the Masetto Bianco, the Masetto Nero and finally Moscato Rosa. The Elephant and Castle did a supurb job of pairing the food with the wine and Thomas gave a great talk about the wines.
The 2nd evening was at Manifesto, a new Italian restaurant in Rathmines. The wines were a slightly different choice but all wines went very well with Manifesto’s menu. The wine choices were Masetto Bianco, Nosiola, Tereldego and Serpaiolo. We hope that everyone who attended enjoyed the evening, and we would like to thank Thomas for his visit!!!
Inez O”Shea”A taste of Italy”
Hi Everyone tomorrow night there will be a wine tasting at the “Elephant and Castle” in Temple Bar. We have the producer himself, Thomas Endrizzi who will be on hand to explain and talk all about his wines.
We have a lovely selection of wines begenning with the Prosecco Valdobbiane, followed by the Masetto Bianco, Masetto Nero and finally the Moscato Rosa.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Endrizzi, Endrizzi is from the North of Italy, very close to Austria, and they produce a large variety of wines which are well worth trying!!
The tasting will begin at 7:00pm.
We’re really looking foward to seeing you all there!!
Inez “A taste of Italy”